Infrastructure NSW was established in July 2011 to assist the NSW Government in identifying and prioritising the delivery of critical public infrastructure for NSW. It is a NSW government agency established under the Infrastructure NSW Act and it exhibits important features of independence.
In September 2012, Infrastructure NSW completed one of its principal tasks under the Act, delivering to the NSW Premier the 20-year State Infrastructure Strategy. It was the first time a prioritised and costed long-term strategy had been developed for the Government's consideration. In mid-2014, Infrastructure NSW was requested by the NSW Premier to update the strategy to take account of money that would be made available through the Government's Rebuilding NSW plan.
The Government's State Infrastructure Strategy is implemented through annual Five Year Infrastructure Plans, prepared by Infrastructure NSW, which identify specific major infrastructure projects to be undertaken as a priority.
In addition to developing the 20-year State Infrastructure Strategy and Five Year Infrastructure Plans, Infrastructure NSW's functions, as outlined in the Act, are to:
- prepare sectoral State infrastructure strategy statements
- prepare project implementation plans for major infrastructure projects
- review and evaluate proposed major infrastructure projects by government agencies or the private sector and other proposed infrastructure projects
- oversee and monitor the delivery of major infrastructure projects and other infrastructure projects identified in plans adopted by the Premier
- carry out or be responsible for the delivery of a specified major infrastructure project in accordance with an order of the Premier
- assess the risks involved in planning, funding, delivering and maintaining infrastructure, and the management of those risks
- provide advice to the Premier on economic or regulatory impediments to the efficient delivery of specific infrastructure projects or infrastructure projects in specific sectors
- provide advice to the Premier on appropriate funding models for infrastructure
- co-ordinate the infrastructure funding submissions of the State and its agencies to the Commonwealth Government and to other bodies
- carry out reviews of completed infrastructure projects at the request of the Premier
- provide advice on any matter relating to infrastructure that the Premier requests.
Read more about specific Infrastructure NSW projects, including our leadership role in managing the delivery of the new International Convention Centre Sydney (ICC Sydney) at Darling Harbour.